The Shift Supervisor provides overall security supervision for a 40 bed secure detention facility on an assigned shift and provides direct supervision to Resident Advisors and the Resident Advisor II. The incumbent must be capable of making critical and sound decisions while maintaining a calm composure during emergencies or potentially dangerous situations. Work involves planning, organizing and directing daily shift activities. This position is directly supervised by the Chief of Security. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Supervising, monitoring and controlling the activities of juvenile residents to ensure compliance with facility policies and operating procedures
- Issuing staff work assignments and maintaining time and attendance records, operating assigned shifts effectively and efficiently, and maintaining the proper staff-to-client ratio for coverage according to licensing standards
- Overseeing juvenile intakes and discharges, coordinating assignments of juveniles to housing units, conducting facility-wide head counts of residents, conducting inspections, drills, cell searches and physical searches
- Interpreting, applying and enforcing policy and procedures with staff and residents
- Investigating incidents and determining sanctions for rule violations
- Documenting and reporting staff performance issues and making recommendations regarding disciplinary actions
- Assuming selected management responsibilities in the absence of the Chief of Security
- Assisting in on-the-job training for new staff
- Preparing and completing reports and other documentation in accordance with applicable standards, policies and procedures
- Intervening in crisis situations, assisting in conflict resolution with residents and staff and informing supervisor of concerns as warranted
- Serving meals, performing general maintenance and custodial work, and administering medications/first aid to residents
Successful completion of a comprehensive Child Protective Services and criminal background investigation required. Must possess a valid VA driver’s license by time of employment. Must successfully complete a physical examination and pass a pre-employment drug screen. The incumbent is required to serve a one-year probationary period.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Incumbent must possess knowledge of: policies, guidelines and laws governing secure juvenile facilities; radio communications; contraband search and control; supervisory practices and principles. Skill required in: use of hand-held radio, de-escalation, application of restraint methods, first aid procedures and administration of medication. Ability to: effectively communicate orally and in writing with juvenile offender population and staff; apply and interpret rules and regulations; exercise good judgement in emergencies and direct staff in same; conduct thorough investigations; monitor staff schedules and overtime; analyze and resolve problems and provide supervision of staff and population.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or GED required.
PHYSICAL CONDITIONS AND WORK CONTACTS: Works typically in an institutional setting for detained juveniles as well as in an office environment. Applicant should be comfortable with necessary use of physical contact. Must possess ability to complete Handle with Care, First Aid/CPR and 40 hours of on-site training. Frequent walking is required. Must be able to lift up to 70 lbs. Regular contact is made with Administrative Staff, juvenile residents, parents/guardians, Sheriff Deputies, court officials, school officials and the general public. Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with residents, co-workers and the general public through the use of telephone and face to face contact. Must be physically capable of doing the following:
- Respond to auditory and visual signals and alarms
- Operate a standard computer keyboard and a variety of communications and security equipment
- Retrieve written data from official documents, logs, and computer terminals
- Perform usual motor skills and movements involved in walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, sitting, standing, pushing, pulling, and lifting and handling objects that weigh less than 70 pounds
- Complete Handle with Care certification
- Vision requirements must meet the standards as required by the Division of Motor Vehicles
HIRING RANGE: $39,960 – 50,949 / annually, depending on experience and qualifications.
SALARY RANGE: $39,960 – $61,938 / annually.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Friday, June 19th, 2020 at 12:00 noon
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a VA State Application to: Blue Ridge Juvenile Detention
195 Peregory Lane
Charlottesville, VA 22902