Anticipated Start Date October 1, 2015
Join a dedicated team of principled, committed public servants. We are seeking an individual to serve as our regional Blue Ridge Juvenile Detention Executive Director.
The BRJD Executive Director performs complex professional managerial and leadership work in planning, organizing, directing, and evaluating the overall operation of a 40-bed juvenile detention facility and its staff.
KEY ATTRIBUTES OF OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Possesses thorough knowledge of juvenile detention functions, programs, services and issues
- Is ethical beyond reproach; entirely trustworthy and honest
- Is authentic, “down to earth”, and “real” in the context of inter-personal relationships
- Practices an “open door” policy; is approachable, empathetic, trusting, caring, motivating and respectful
- Respects what is working currently yet is creative, open-minded and encourages innovation and risk-taking
- Demonstrates a clear vision and ability to share it effectively with staff
- Has a healthy sense of humor
- Is a strong “connector” who fosters positive, productive relationships within the agency, with external partners and stakeholders and throughout the broader community
- Is an active listener; interested in staff feedback and participation
- Understands the budget process and financial systems and issues
- Is adaptable to changes in regulatory environment and changes in processes, programs and services
THE AGENCY – BLUE RIDGE JUVENILE DETENTION
The Blue Ridge Juvenile Detention (BRJD) is a regional facility servicing the City of Charlottesville, and Counties of Albemarle, Culpeper, Fluvanna, and Greene. It is the mission of BRJD to provide residents with a safe, clean, secure environment through a structured program. This includes assessment of residents needs through the integration of Academic, Mental Health, Medical, Programs and Security practices. In meeting its mission objectives, BRJD will encourage and foster interagency collaboration in support of transitioning residents to the community.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintains a safe and secure environment for staff and residents;
- Interprets, develops, implements, monitors, and updates the policies and directives established for the center;
- Oversees the hiring and work of the entire facility staff;
- Establishes policies and procedures and ensures that the facility is in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, licensing standards, and policies;
- Serves as liaison between facility, officials, parents, legal representatives, the Courts, media and the community;
- Advises staff on difficult or unusual problems and issues;
- Maintains statistical data and prepares monthly, annual or other reports as required by the State Department of Juvenile Justice or other local, state or federal agencies;
- Arranges for, coordinates, and maintains appropriate agreements with the judicial, state and local agencies, as well as community organizations that provide services to detainees;
- Prepares Center’s budget and ensures that expenditures are kept within budget allocations;
- Monitors quality assurance, cost control, and continuous improvement initiatives;
- Oversees the maintenance of the facility and equipment inventory;
- Responds to a variety of detainee situations utilizing appropriate behavioral and crises management skills;
- Remains available on a 24 hour, on-call basis for emergencies or other urgent circumstances;
- Performs other duties as needed.
Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of administration of children’s detention institutions; a working knowledge of Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court; ability to understand and communicate the policies, procedures and services of the Center; thorough knowledge of federal and state laws, policies, regulations, and standards as they relate to Juvenile Detention Centers. Sound knowledge of counseling and social work principles and practices, including casework methods with an understanding of the problems of socially and emotionally maladjusted children. Ability to interpret and analyze technical and statistical information and to prepare and present technical oral and written reports; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials, other agencies, and the general public; ability to plan, supervise and evaluate the work of professional, technical and administrative support staff.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major work in criminal justice, psychology, sociology, counseling or related field, supplemented by coursework related to residential care. Masters Degree preferred. Also requires five years experience in a professional capacity in an adolescent or other residential care facility, including a minimum of two years in a supervisory capacity, and basic computer skills on personal computers with commonly used office programs. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid appropriate driver’s permit issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
THE PHYSICAL CONDITIONS AND NATURE OF WORK CONTACTS
Must be able to walk and operate an automobile as job requires travel and attendance at a variety of locations; must be able to see, hear, speak and write; must be able to operate various types of computers and software packages; must be able to read, comprehend, interpret, and explain various forms, documents, manuals, laws, polices and other literature; must be able to perform light to heavy lifting on an infrequent basis; must be able to work independently and maintain confidentiality regarding sensitive issues. Will have exposure to high stress situations, antagonistic interaction, and possible health risks or injury.
FLSA AND BENEFIT STATUS: Exempt, Benefits-eligible
SALARY RANGE: $90,000 – $110,000/Per Year, depending on experience and qualifications
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Friday, July 3, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. EST
How to Apply:
Applications must be submitted online at www.albemarle.org/jobs through the Albemarle County Public Schools and Local Government application portal.